Before I get to tonight’s Wellness Weekend, I’ve got some winners to announce-how could I have forgotten this yesterday?!
Five lucky DDD readers will each receive a package of Cocoa Cardio, the antioxidant-enhanced cocoa powder that I’ve been enjoying pretty much daily every since the fine folks at iHerb sent me a sample.
Here are the five winners, chosen at random:
- Molly, who wrote: “i would love to try cococardio!”;
- Liz,who said, “I have never had a MadreLabs product but I love that it’s Non-Alkalized and that it has beets in it! What a great thing to include to start your morning. Thanks for reminding me about buckwheat bakes – I need to make them again!”;
- Ashley, who commented, “Happy to hear you were able to retrieve most of your files! That’s the worst part about computers crashing. Your buckwheat bake looks delicious! Those have been on my list of things to make for a while.”;
- Kate, who told us: “I love all things chocolate so I’d love to try this product!!”; and
- Keith, who wrote, “It’s CHOCOLATE. Which means love. And oh, it’s healthy too.”
CONGRATULATIONS to all five of you! Please send me your full names and mailing addresses (at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom) so that I can forward them to iHerb, who will mail out your Cocoa Cardio! (Please be sure to sign up on the iHerb site first).
And speaking of giveaways, don’t forget about the gluten free cookbook prize (The Gluten Free Asian Kitchen by Laura Russell) over at Cook it Allergy Free, as part of this week’s Gluten Free Holiday 2011 event!
Now, on to this week’s event! Last week’s entries were, as usual, a great mix of sweet, savory, and all types of comestibles from juice to appetizers to main courses to desserts. I’ve chosen four fave recipes on the theme of “Memorable Eats” in honor of Remembrance Day, which is tomorrow:
- Raw Nori Nachos from the Palate Peacemaker. I loved the unusual pairing of ingredients!
- Collard Greens with Tahini from City/Life/Eats. Collards are one of my favorite greens–these sound great (and check out Valerie’s lovely new site design while you’re there!).
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie from Cookies and Crafts. Ingenious use of faux potatoes!
- Tempeh Sausage Stuffing from The Peaceful Kitchen. A delicious take on a classic!
And the Reader’s Choice this past week was so close, that I’m naming TWO posts:
Frosted Red Velvet Donuts from Fox in the Kitchen; and
Allergy Friendly Macaroons from Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery!
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. Looking forward to the next batch of amazing recipes!
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this weekend! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included!
Here’s How to Participate (PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES CAREFULLY BEFORE LINKING UP!):
- The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) within the past week that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). Use the Linky Tool at the bottom of the page. Please do not link more than once to the same web page!
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL PER POST, PLEASE.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
- As always, I hate to remove links, but will do so if they don’t comply with the guidelines.
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome!
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they are a re-post of a blog entry that is more than one week old, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- Only one thumbnail per post, please. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE read the guidelines before posting!