Hello and Happy Wellness Weekend!
Last week marked another record for Wellness Weekend–we topped 55 entries! With summerlike weather in full swing here in Toronto, I was drooling over the array of recipes for popsicles, Italian ice, milks shakes and smoothies, even push-up pops–and, of course, salads!
And since y’all somehow forgot to submit an ice cream recipe last week, I took it upon myself to fill the gap. ;) Here’s what I’ll be posting tomorrow (with a little something extra to go along with the recipe):
Be sure to come back and read all about it!
- You folks sure love a raw foods giveaway!! My giveaway of a Live Organic Raw package of goodies has drawn the largest number of comments on any giveaway, ever, on this site. And if you’ve missed it thus far, head over to the giveaway post and enter–you have until midnight tomorrow!
- Maggie at She Let Them Eat Cake is giving away a copy of The Pure Kitchen by Hallie Klecker. This is one of the best whole-foods cookbooks I’ve seen. Not all the recipes are vegan, but as Maggie mentions in her post, most are easily adaptable.
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include as many as I can each week.
This Week’s Highlighted Recipes:
Summer is all about fresh fruits and veggies! For this week, here are some concoctions with fresh produce:
- Strawberry Mojito Sorbet from And Love It, Too. This latecomer last week is worth another look–so refreshing, without any added sweeteners!
- Whole Foods Spicy Green “Juice” fromTasty Eats at Home. This drink reminds me of a V-8–without the tomato.
- Watermelon Mint Quinoa Salad from Queen of Quinoa. What a great way to use fresh, juicy watermelon!
- Broccoli Pesto Sammie Stackers from Gluten Free Happy Tummy. This aesthetically lovely dish is filled with fresh pesto–sounds delish!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Vegan Okonomiyaki (Japanese Vegetable Pancake) from The Taste Space. I love the mix of many veggies and flavors in this dish.
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: You opted for a yummy drink for this week’s top sweet recipe: Cake Batter Milkshake from Coconut Mama. Just tell me it’s cake batter, and I’m game!
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with!
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this weekend! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included!
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome!
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE read the guidelines before posting!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)