Happy Thursday, and Happy Wellness Weekend! It’s summer here, which means people are taking time to play outdoors, go on vacation, stay away from the kitchen. . . and basically have as much fun as possible! But that hasn’t stopped any of you from creating mouth-watering, fabulous food. And you shared lots of it last week!
Along with some terrific warm-weather dishes, there’s also lots and lots of activity going on in the blog world. So let’s get right to the newsy tidbits!
- The Mega-Ebook Sale Continues! Thanks to all of you who’ve taken advantage of the Mega Summer Ebook Sale so far! As I mentioned last week, you can purchase any two of my ebooks for just $10.95 (and yes, that includes Sweet Freedom!). The sale will continue only until August 31st, 2012, so if you’ve ever thought about buying any of these ebooks, now is the time! Hop over to this page to check out the details and place your order.
- My friend and fellow Holistic Nutritionist Heather Nauta is offering a series of online cooking classes for simple, healthy (plus quick and easy-to-make!) meals. These step-by-step classes are great for anyone transitioning to healthier eating, anyone just learning to cook, anyone strapped for time, or anyone who wants to increase their whole foods intake on a daily basis. And the best part–you can take them at home, in your own kitchen! Click here for more information or to purchase. [Note: I'm an affiliate for Heather's program, so I will earn a small commission if you buy as a result of clicking this link.]
- There’s a Raw Dessert Challenge summer blog event happening right now on Sweetly Raw. If you’re an ice cream fan, get those raw sundaes going and join the challenge! Looks like some great prizes to be had, too.
- More events here on DDD: You can still enter to win one of TWO SUPERFOOD PRIZE PACKS from Mum’s Originals on my giveaway post! I absolutely loved these products and know that you will, too. And Mum’s is offering a 15% discount to anyone who orders online using the code “RICKI” at checkout.
- JL of JL Goes Vegan has gone through some amazing changes in her life this past year, and now she’s sharing with all of you: she recently launched “Go Vegan with JL” coaching services, along with a fabulous introductory offer for anyone who signs up for coaching. And she’s giving away two individual 45-minute sessions to two lucky winners–so enter here!
- And finally. . . for those of you on Pinterest, let’s follow each other there! You can follow me here and I’m happy to reciprocate. And if you’d like to join the group board for stevia-based recipes that I run, Sweet Stevia, just leave your Pinterest name here in the comments (or email it to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom) and I’ll add you to the group!
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include as many as I can each week. PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY! I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
And now for this week’s picks! Here are some of the recipes that caught my attention this week:
- Peachy Keen Smoothie from Cupcakes and Kale offers a lovely blend of summery fruits in a chilled smoothie.
- Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette from The Taste Space. Roasting strawberries? What a great idea!
- Egg Free Mayonnaise from Gluten Free, SCD and Veggie. I love the secret ingredient in this vegan mayo!
- Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce from Empowered Sustenance. A great almost-raw dish for summer. . .and Lauren has such a neat peeler!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Creamy Cauliflower Penne from Everyday Vegan Girl. A creative way to use cauliflower (and get some greens in, too)!
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Brownie Dough Bites from Veggie V’s Vegan Adventure. This early entry captured your hearts (and tummies) with its gooey chocolate dough-like treats!
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with!
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this week! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included!
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.”
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE read the guidelines before posting!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT. . . . PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES!!