What–? AUGUST already?? Where the heck has the time gone?! Well, like the summer, this past week has flown by–and it’s time for another Wellness Weekend! Last week’s event was the biggest yet–we’ve hit another record number of entries (60!). Whoo hoo! Welcome to all the new W-Weekenders (I think I’m going to call you that, ‘k?) and ongoing thanks to all of you who participate regularly. I’m loving your recipes!
Oh, and if you’ve tried any of the recipes you’ve found here at Wellness Weekend, please do come back and tell us about it! We’d all love to hear about successes (or even failures) with the recipes.
- Win a copy of Dreena Burton’s fabulous Let Them Eat Vegan! My giveaway continues until 11:59 PM tomorrow–so hop over to my giveaway post, read a great interview with Dreena, and enter! (There’s also a recipe for Cocoa-Goji Granola, in case you missed it).
- Attune Foods is also giving away two cookbooks–both in my collection, and both favorites. You can win Amy’s Simply Sugar and Gluten Free or Alisa’s Go Dairy Free by commenting here.
- The Mega-Ebook Sale Ends This Month! If you haven’t yet taken advantage of the Mega Summer Ebook Sale to purchase any two of my ebooks for just $10.95 (and yes, that includes Sweet Freedom!), you’ve only got till the end of the month! The sale will end on August 31st, 2012. If you’ve ever thought about buying any of these ebooks, now is the time! Hop over to this page to check out the details and place your order.
- Thanks to everyone who answered my newsletter question last week. (And if you haven’t, feel free to go there now and answer it!).
- Get ready to channel your inner hippie. . . you’ll see what I mean when you read my next recipe, coming up!
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include as many as I can each week. PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
And now for this week’s picks! Here are some recipes to make for end-of-summer get togethers:
- Heirloom Tomato Salad from My Munchable Musings. Okay, Rachel called it “Ugly Tomato Salad,” but no tomato is ugly in my book! And this super-easy salad sounds great.
- Yellow Squash (Zucchini) Chips from The RA Vegan. Love this idea. Will it get me to love zucchini–yellow OR green? Time shall tell!
- Mediterranean Faux Potato Salad from The Gluten-Free Edge. So many other seasonal veggies in here, who needs potatoes?
- Fresh Corn Salsa from Real Food, Real Deals. If you can find organic corn, this would be a terrific salsa to make!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Bean-Free Hummus from Cuter Than Gluten. This is a raw food recipe that sounds just spectacular! And once again, it’s the savory recipe that won the day–almost double the clicks of the sweet choice!
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Grain-free Fudge Brownies from Fem Fusion Fitness. These look like a terrific, very fudgy, brownie–what more would you want in one, right?
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with.
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this week! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.”
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)