Welcome to this week’s Wellness Weekend! Can it really be that we’re heading into the last week of August?! Where has the summer gone? I missed most of the last week stressing over root canal issues (and thank you all for your comments and advice on that one–I’ll provide an update next post!).
With all that was going on, I still couldn’t miss last week’s stellar Wellness Weekend entries. From ice cream sundaes to raw cheesecakes to edamame burgers to allergy-free baked donut holes, you all outdid yourselves! I continue to be amazed by your creativity and versatility in the kitchen. Thank you!
The VegNews Veggie Awards are still ongoing until August 31st! And while this blog hasn’t been nominated (again!), you can add a blog you’d like to see next year to the list. If you think DDD is valuable, I hope you’ll go vote and add it in (and when you vote, you’re entering to win amazing prizes–from a cruise to a VitaMix to a $250 shopping spree–while you do so!!). Just click here to start the survey and vote (note: you must vote for at least 50% of the items to be eligible for prizes). As always, thank you so much for your support!
- Mega Ebook Sale: LAST WEEK to order any two of my ebooks for just $10.95! Sweet Freedom does contain some recipes with spelt and/or barley flours, but Anti-Candida Feast, Desserts without Compromise, and Good Morning! Breakfasts are all gluten free and ACD-friendly. For more details or to purchase, click here.
- Great News for Cookie Lovers! My friend Hallie Klecker from Daily Bites is about to publish a second cookbook–Super Healthy Cookies! The book contains 50 recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free cookies, with 50% vegan recipes. All of Hallie’s recipes are full of good, clean ingredients, and all the ones I’ve tried have been delectable–so you can guess how excited I am for this book! Read more here.
- Shirley at Gluten Free Easily links up to a fun giveaway from Rudi’s Gluten Free tortilla wraps–and they’re vegan! And check out her fun recipe for tortilla pizza while you’re there.
- You already know how much I loved Dreena Burton’s Let Them Eat Vegan; here are two more stellar reviews from Choosing Raw and The Balanced Platter (the second one with a giveaway as well). And no, I’m not an affiliate and don’t get a commission from sales of the book!! I just really love Dreena’s recipes.
- Get your grill on! There’s still time to enjoy grilled burgers this sumer–and I tell you how to create the perfect grillable veggie burger here!
- And even MORE in book news (!): Bianca Phillips of Vegan Crunk blog has just released a new book, Cookin’ Crunk! It’s filled with Southern, down-home favorites. . . all made vegan!
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
This Week’s Picks:
With my sore tooth this past week, I was looking for soft foods. Here are some of my picks:
- Morning Green Juice from Earthgiven. I’ve been trying to get more green juices into me lately, and this one has a lovely, original combination of ingredients.
- Superfood Cantaloupe Soup Two Ways from A Harmony Healing. Hot weather is perfect for cold soups, and here are two ways to enjoy sweet cantaloupe. Can’t wait until I can have it again!
- Creamy Chilled Mint Avocado Soup from The Tasty Alternative. Another soup–all the ingredients in this one are things I love!
- Dairy-Free Creamy Dill Dressing from Fresh4Five. I love dill in slaws and salads. This dressing would be great over so many things, including cold pasta or potatoes!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Hempseed Veggie Burgers from Bite-Sized Thoughts. These a-meal-in-a-burger patties sound delish to me (but then again, who doesn’t love sweet potato?)
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Hazelnut Cranberry Coconut Cream Scones from Green Vegan Living. Glad to see that many of you are breakfast fiends, like me!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter and Facebook (there’s a new, shorter twitter hashtag, too, so you can write more about the food: #WWknd as well as the original #WellnessWeekend).
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.” Also, if you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go!
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”).