Welcome to this week’s Wellness Weekend! Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And please feel free to share the event on twitter–I’ve shortened the hashtag to #WWknd so you can fit more about the recipe in your tweets!
As usual, there were loads of fabulous dishes linked in last week’s event. I think I need to take a week off so I can try all the things I’d love to make.
And wow–so many Newsy tidbits! I think this is the “Week of the Giveaway’ in blog land. So let’s get right to it, shall we?
Simply Gluten-Free Magazine is here! Some of you may have seen my tweets or Facebook posts about this gorgeous new magazine by Carol Kicinski, the voice (and creative power) behind the blog of the same name. This high-quality print (with an online version as well) magazine will feature an abundance of recipes for gluten-free, allergy-friendlydiets plus tips for travel, the home, and more. And for those who are wondering, yes, there will be an entire section devoted to vegan recipes as well--edited byYours Truly!! Read the full press release here and visit the official website here.
- Kate at Eat, Recycle, Repeat is giving away a jar of Tropical Traditions Coconut oil. If you recall, this is one of my favorite brands of coconut oil, too! Giveaway ends August 12th.
- The Raw Ice Cream Sundae Challenge continues at Sweetly Raw. Heather is giving away two prize packs for winning entries, too! Check out the current entries and enter your own here. The challenge closes on August 13th, so get those sundaes going!
- Alta from Tasty Eats at Home has a Silk soymilk giveaway on the go. Check her recipe for Chocolate-Avocado-Banana shake and enter while you’re there! Ends August 15th.
- And here’s a giveaway from Gluten-Free Find for Girlnola granola (yay! finally a granola I can eat!) plus a chance to attend a yoga retreat at the end of the month. Hop over to the site to enter–contest closes August 15th.
- Amber at The Tasty Alternative is giving away FOUR bottles of the NuNaturals new flavored stevia! Enter to win the orange and lemon flavored sweeteners. I love stevia, and NuNaturals is my favorite brand–a great giveaway! Ends August 19th.
- Raw Foodists Rejoice: over at The Blender Girl, Tess is giving away a 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator! You need to sign up to her newsletter to enter this giveaway (it’s free). Continues until the end of the month.
- Finally, The Mega-Ebook Sale Continues–but ONLY UNTIL THE END OF THE MONTH! If you haven’t yet taken advantage of the Mega Summer Ebook Sale to purchase any two of my ebooks for just $10.95 (and yes, that includes Sweet Freedom!), you’ve only got till the end of the month! The sale will end on August 31st, 2012. If you’ve ever thought about buying any of these ebooks, now is the time! Hop over to this page to check out the details and place your order.
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
And now for this week’s picks! Here are some recipes that all feature no added fat or lower fat:
- DIY Fruit Flavored Vinegars from Healthy Frugalista. A great addition to any summer salad!
- Oil-Free Laddoo (sweet wheat balls) from Vegan Richa. This would make a great crumble topping, too.
- Spicy Sweet Potato Fries with cinnamon sugar dip from Sensual Appeal. Since I often eat sweet potato with cinnamon-almond sauce for breakfast, this sounds terrific to me!
- Oil-Free Basil Walnut Pesto from Veggies in My Freezer. Turns out you don’t need to add oil to your pesto at all!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
- Readers’ Choice, Savory: Totally Addictive Tali Sauce from Dishes and Dishes. What is tali sauce? I didn’t know, either. But if it’s totally addictive, you need to find out!
- Readers’ Choice, Sweet: Quinoa Chocolate Chip cookies from The Veggie Nook. It’s clear that DDD readers can never get enough chocolate chip cookies! The close second in this category was Tessa Domestic Diva’s Perfect Grain/Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Thank you to every one of you who played along by submitting your recipes! I love seeing what you all make each week. I always look forward to seeing what you’ll come up with.
Please join us for Wellness Weekend this week! There are so many options for healthy foods. . . whether or not you’re vegan, remember that many salads, veggie side dishes, pasta dishes, desserts, smoothies, and more are naturally vegan and can all be included.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients (see list below). You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link more than once to the same page from your blog.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit more than one recipe, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please be sure to mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
What your recipe CAN contain:
- Any good-for-you, whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.”
- Natural sweeteners (coconut sugar, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, stevia, Sucanat, rapadura, coconut nectar, yacon syrup, etc.)
- Vegan ingredients (even if you’re not vegan, OF COURSE you can still play along! You’ll be surprised at how many foods are naturally vegan; and if not, there are many subs you can use for eggs, milk or butter–include vegan options and we’re good to go!).
- Note that this is NOT AN ACD-ONLY EVENT. Any real food ingredients that are sugar-free and vegan are more than welcome–so use that maple syrup, those mushrooms, that nutritional yeast, miso, etc! I’m just looking for healthy, whole foods recipes.
What your recipe cannot contain:
- White flour, white sugar, or any highly refined, highly processed ingredients (note that regular brown sugar is actually refined!);
- Anything almost entirely artificial (ie, most boxed mixes, fast food, faux “cheese,” faux “meat,” or margarine, unnaturally colored cereals or other foods, etc.);
- Animal products (meat, chicken, fish or seafood, or their by-products, gelatin, eggs, dairy, butter or honey).
“Hey! Why was my entry removed?”
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link.
- The most common reason entries are removed is because they don’t adhere to the guidelines: either they don’t contain a link back to this post, they contain ingredients that aren’t listed here, they link to another blog event, or they contain neither a recipe nor anything directly related to food preparation. If you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go! For older posts, you’re welcome to re-post them during the week of the event, or choose a newer recipe.
- Another reason posts are removed is because the link leads to an advertisement or a business blog. Please do NOT link up posts that are merely referrals to a different post or the home page for another blog event.
- I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)