Welcome back to Wellness Weekend! If you’ve been wondering what that strange, high-pitched, jagged noise has been the past week, it was me, wailing about the cooler weather. Did I really think our glorious summer this year would last forever? (We can all hope for miracles, right?). Still, I do love all the fall produce, and I suppose I must admit that bulky sweaters can be pretty. So onward we go!
There was an amazing lineup of recipes last week, and I can’t wait to share the top picks and faves. But first, news!
- Tonight’s your LAST CHANCE to enter to WIN A YEAR’S SUBSCRIPTION to Simply Gluten Free Magazine! This beautifully photographed lifestyle magazine for anyone with food sensitivities, allergies or special diets (and that includes vegan, of course!) will launch in November, just in time for the holidays. Enter to win a free subscription, or buy one for a friend! (And I’ve been LOVING all your comments and suggestions for the magazine!!). :D
- Not one, but two separate giveaways for Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil this week! If you’ve ever tasted this wonderful product, you know it’s the gold standard for coconut oils (you can check out my original review here.). This week, both Sensual Appeal and Anne Marie Cain are giving some away! Click on the links to enter (but quick–one ends Sunday and the other ends Monday!).
- Win a copy of The Gluten-Free Edge: A Nutrition and Training Guide for Peak Athletic Performance and an Active Gluten-Free Life over at Cook It Allergy-Free! This book by Peter Bronski and Melissa McLean Jory talks about how to achieve peak athletic performance on a gluten-free diet, and more. (The recipes are not strictly vegan-free, but the training and gluten info are universal, so I’m mentioning it here). Head over to Kim’s blog to enter! Until September 26th.
- Are you on Pinterest? It’s another great way to keep track of recipes you love. Please join me there! I’ve also just created a new board to showcase recipes from my upcoming cookbook–the recipe testers and I will be adding photos on a regular basis.
- How do you feel about affiliate links? These are the product links I’ve added toward the bottom of the right sidebar. As with anything I recommend on the blog, these are items that I actually use or have used myself and can wholeheartedly endorse. If you end up purchasing something after clicking on one of the links, you’ll also help support DDD, as I will earn a small commission from the sale. Eventually, I’ll be adding these to a custom “store” page on the blog, where they will join my full list of favorite products. Do you find them useful? Annoying? Are you indifferent? I’d love to hear your feedback.
Do you have a blog linky event, giveaway or other event you’d like me to mention? Send me an email with the details and I’ll include a few each week (depending on how many requests I get, I may not be able to include them all).
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY. I will list the events under “Newsy Tidbits” for you if you send me an email.
This Week’s Picks:
Here are some of my favorite links from last’s week’s Wellness Weekend on the theme of “on the side” (and please feel free to pin any of them directly from these photos–just hover your cursor over the photo, then click on “Pin It”):
Wild Blueberry Zinger Dressing from Carrie on Vegan. A great way to top your salad–or as a dip for veggies!
Cherry Collard Dolmas from The Taste Space. I love dolmas, and thought the inclusion of cherries here was totally intriguing!
Raw Coconut Avocado Fries with Sweet Chili Sauce from The Veggie Nook. These sound beyond amazing–can’t wait to try them (adapted to my oven, of course)!
Cous Cous with Fresh Figs, Apricots and Pistachios from Vanilla and Spice. How gorgeous does this look? And I bet it would be equally good with quinoa!
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Pav Bhaji Sloppy Joes from Vegan Richa feature a veggie base and Indian spices. Delicious!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
A healthy twist on Raisin Oatmeal Cookies from Allergy Free Alaska was your top choice this week. And no xanthan or guar gum!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on twitter and Facebook (there’s a new, shorter twitter hashtag, too, so you can write more about the food: #WWknd as well as the original #WellnessWeekend).
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed.” Also, if you render a recipe vegan-friendly by adding a vegan option to your ingredients, your post will be good to go!
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page. The post must contain a recipe.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And n0w. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”).