Hi Everyone! Can you believe it’s almost SEPTEMBER already?!! Where oh where did my summer GO?! Well, as you head off to enjoy your long weekend, I’ve got a fun event to share with you all! So read on. . . .
This Week’s Newsy Tidbits:
This week’s news is all about my new cookbook! Talk about time flying–Naturally Sweet & Gluten Free is almost ready for its big debut on September 12th. Whoo hoo!! I am thrilled with how the book turned out (thank you, Sellers Publishing!) and truly can’t wait to share it with all of you. You can still preorder the book (which will secure the price even if it goes up later); or, you’ll be able to find it in major bookstores next month. Check this page for all the details to purchase.
And I hope you’ll join in the festivities! To kick off the book launch, I’ll be baking up a recipe favorite from the book, live on a Google+ hangout on air, on September 16th. And what will I be baking, you wonder? Well, folks, that’s up to YOU!
These are the four recipes:
1) Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (page 166 in the cookbook):
2) Raw Frosted Lemon-Poppyseed Bars (page 209 in the cookbook):
3) Carob-Buckwheat Pancakes with Chopped Almonds and Chips (page 81 in the cookbook):
4) Butterscotch-Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (page 100 in the cookbook):
I’ll also be providing tips and tricks on air, plus nut-free variations for those of you who can’t eat nuts.
Please hop over to the Google event page and cast your vote! You can choose from among these four popular recipes from the book, pictured above. I chose four that also happen to be on the blog as well, so you can decide based on look AND ingredients. Just leave a comment on the hangout page telling me your choice (you can vote whether or not you attend the hangout), THEN come back on the 16th to bake along with me–or just watch as I concoct in the kitchen!
And now. . . on to this week’s recipes!
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks revolve around the theme “keeping cool” — no cooking required!
Raw Sweet Potato Salad with Curry Almond Sauce from Out to Lunch Creations. Never had raw sweet potatoes before? You’ve gotta try this, then!
Key Lime Ice Cream from Laura’s Gluten-Free Pantry. Grab all the ice cream you can before summer ends! This one sounds fabulous.
If you’re looking for some of my favorite no-cook recipes here on the blog, try one of these:
- No-Bake Chocolate Chunk (or Chip) Cookies
- Raw Apricot Swirl Cheesecake Mini Pies or Tarts
- Crazy Simple Raw Kale Salad
- Earth Bowl Breakfast
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Zucchini Pesto Lasagna with Cashew Cream from Sandi’s Allergy-Free Recipes. What a perfect end-of-summer raw meal!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Gone to Sunbutter and Jam Heaven Bars from Cats in the Kitchen. End off your meal with this fantastic raw dessert!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
And don’t forget to hop over and vote for your choice of baked good–then come and tune in while I bake it on September 16th!
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”
© Ricki Heller 2013.