Howdy, y’all! (No, I haven’t been to the south lately. . . for some reason, that just popped out that way). Hope you are all enjoying lots of warm, sunny days of August (or cool, sunny days if you’re Down Under).
Thanks for all the great comments about my ice cream post last week. Glad you liked it! And thanks, too, for all YOUR great recipes, as usual! From lasagna to grain-free chocolate chip cookies to ice cream sandwiches to chocolate zucchini cake–it all looked fantastic!
- What a great way to spend Labor Day Weekend–at a yoga/wellness retreat in Puerto Rico! Fern from Yoga with Fern is running an Instagram contest for $400 off the price of the Bodhi Mind Soul Retreat coming up August 28-September 1st. Read the rules to enter here. Read more about the retreat here. The contest ends August 15, so get those cameras rolling!
- Are you thinking about back-to-school yet? Well, for those of you facing the classroom in the next few weeks, here are some ideas for quick, on-the-go breakfasts–plus a recipe for an easy breakfast cookie, over at The Balanced Platter.
- And for those of you (like me) who hang on to summer until the very last second, here are some tips on how to incorporate more of those fabulous summer berries into your meals! Read the article at Fitalicious.
[Well look what I got in the mail!]
- I got a surprise gift in the mail last week–and couldn’t help but post about it on Instagram! I’m so excited for Naturally Sweet and Gluten-Free to hit bookstore shelves on September 12th! I’ve got loads of giveaways, contests and other fun stuff planned for when the book comes out (and I’ll be sharing more of the inside page, too)–and hope you’ll celebrate along with me! In the meantime, don’t forget that the discounted price only applies to preorders. Have you ordered your copy yet?
- I mentioned this last week, too, but in case you missed it, stay tuned for a new look on the blog! If all goes well, we’ll be making the switch next week. And don’t be alarmed when you see that the name has changed to RickiHeller.com–we are not booting out The Girls from the picture!! (“Thanks, Mum, we appreciate that. Especially since we are actually the true stars of this site.”). The change is a way to bring together the different threads of my online and offline work, from the blog to writing for magazines to writing cookbooks to teaching courses (stay tuned for those!). I am very excited to share this transition with all of you!
Do you have a blog linky event or giveaway you’d like me to mention? I also will occasionally mention new courses that bloggers offer their readers. Send me an email with the details to rickiATrickihellerDOTcom and I’ll include three or four each week. Please note that I cannot always accommodate all requests.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks all focus on the theme “sauces and spices.”
Raw Applesauce from Allergy Free Test Kitchen. Perfect way to enjoy fresh apples!
Spicy Plum Sauce from Hunter’s Lyonesse. I bet this would be great as a dipper for veggies, too!
Basic Chili Powder from Whole New Mom. Why buy prepared when you can make your own?
If you’re looking for other sauce recipes, here are some of my favorites on the blog, too:
And This Week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory:
Zucchini Nacho Hashbrowns from Cats in the Kitchen. So many great flavors going on in this dish. . . and I love unconventional hash browns!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Gingerbread Truffle Balls from Bite-Sized Thoughts. Aren’t these little confections adorable? But not too adorable to eat, of course.
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never Miss a Recipe–or a Comment from the Dogs!
To ensure that you continue to receive notices of new blog posts, to get updates on the new cookbook or other happenings here at DDD–you can easily subscribe via email. Just fill in the “subscribe” form here. After you confirm your subscription (you’ll receive an email letting you know you’ve subscribed), you’ll be set to receive every new DDD post right in your Inbox (plus my upcoming newsletter–hoping to start in the fall!–with more tips, information and photo highlights that won’t appear on the blog). Thanks so much for reading.
© Ricki Heller 2013.