Well hello everyone–welcome to this special “Naturally Sweet” edition of Wellness Weekend!
Tonight I’ve got some of my own recipes to share–a whole book of them! That’s because Naturally Sweet and Gluten-Free launched today! This book literally wouldn’t have been possible without all of you and your ongoing support. So thank you! Thank you for reading, for trying the recipes and commenting on the blog, and providing your feedback to help improve this space and the recipes that I make. I hope you find the book useful, and can’t wait to hear what you think of it!
Lots of news today as book events get underway!
- Are you curious about the recipes in Naturally Sweet and Gluten-Free? Thanks to ABC News.com, you can get a sneak peek at three of them! The site featured the Butterscotch Blondies, Cinnamon Rolls and Ultra Fudgy Brownies this week–all vegan, gluten-free, and free of high glycemic sweeteners, of course!
- There’s a fun interview with me on Vegan Mainstream this week, too! I chatted with Emma about the book, baking sugar- and gluten-free, and my favorite recipes from the book. Check it out here.
- It’s Oatmeal Season–is it time for an Overhaul? New ways with this classic breakfast food, over at Fitalicious.com .
- Lisa at Lisa’s Vegetarian Kitchen is giving away a copy of Bake and Destroy, a new cookbook by Natalie Slater. It looks totally rad! Head over to Lisa’s blog to enter. Ends September 25th.
- For something savory, head to Wendy’s blog where I shared my recipe for Blueberry, Kale and Quinoa Salad with Fresh Blueberry Vinaigrette on Cooking Quinoa.
- Finally, RickiHeller.com has been nominated for a Canadian Weblog Award! I’m thrilled–especially since this is a juried competition, which means no one will ask you to go vote for me (and then ask again, and again. . . .). The winners are judged with actual judges and according to actual criteria–what a concept! Winners will be announced December 1st. Thanks to whoever nominated me!
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
With harvesting season full on right now, this week’s picks all include tomatoes as an ingredient!
Tomato and Black Bean Tart from Pure Ella. I think this will have to be my dinner this weekend!
Roasted Hatch Chile White Bean Cheesy Hummus, Kale, Cherry Tomato Pizza from Vegan Richa. I’m going to alternate that tart above with this pizza!
Fresh Tomato Sauce with Sass from Ragdoll Kitchen. Oh, and maybe some pasta smothered in this?
If you’re looking for some tomato-based recipes here on the blog, try one of these:
- Chickpea, Potato and Tomato Stew
- Cranberry Tomato Chutney
- Freeform Tomato Tart with “Goat Cheese” and Basil
- Spaghetti with Lentil Tomato Sauce
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Vegan GF Sausages from Green Gourmet Giraffe. I have to admit this would have been my choice this week, too! Love this recipe–can’t wait to try it!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Wedding Cake Batter from The Alkymist. Okay, so there were no weddings involved. . . but this “batter” sure does sound good.
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”
© Ricki Heller 2013.