Happy Back to School, everyone! And if you’re not back at school, Happy “Back to Sudden Traffic Congestion on the Roads”!
Suddenly, it’s autumn. Crazy how that works, isn’t it? (We had a balmy, sunny, 29C/84F day yesterday, but for some reason I still felt like eating baked squash for dinner).
Another thing that’s crazy? My new cookbook will be available in just ONE WEEK from today! The launch date is September 12th, which means that books will finally be available on stores shelves on that day. (Remember, too, if you preorder, you’ll also be locked in to the lowest amazon price, even if it goes up on launch date!)
I’m really excited and happy to be able to offer so many classic baked goods and desserts in a healthier, allergy-friendly form so that many of you can enjoy them once again! When I ran my bakery, one of the best parts was watching as people who’d missed their favorite desserts were able to indulge freely–and safely–even with multiple food restrictions. I hope this book does the same for lots of you, too!
For a more detailed description of the book or to peek inside, look here.
This Week’s Newsy Tidbits:
- In case you missed yesterday’s post, I’ve got 40+ Quick and Easy, Whole Foods, Vegan Breakfasts for you. With the autumn rush upon us, it’s still important to have a good breakfast. Now you’ve got lots of choices!
- Janet from The Taste Space is giving away a copy of The Moosewood Restaurant Favorites Cookbook. I know that I love all things Moosewood, so this book is bound to be a good one!
- Thanks to Lisa from Gluten-Free Find for sharing my Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake recipe on her Facebook page!
- Have you voted yet for which treat I should bake live on air from Naturally Sweet and Gluten-Free? I’ll prepare the one with the most votes by September 12th. Even if you can’t attend the event, I hope you’ll vote for your favorite! (It looks like Raw Lemon Bars are in the lead right now). Just hop over to the event page and leave a comment with your choice.
- And while you’re there, let’s connect on Google+! I’m also on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and twitter. . . would love to see you there!
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
This week’s picks revolve around the theme “salads and sides.”
Roasted Vegetable Medley from Practical-Stewardship. I love roasted veggies, don’t you? What a great combination!
Chickpea Salad with Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potato and Carrot from Bite-Sized Thoughts. Roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect veggie to ease into autumn.
Garbanzo Basil Salad from Apples and Ginger. More root veggies with carrots in this lovely mix!
If you’re looking for some of my favorite salad and side dish recipes here on the blog, try one of these:
- Avocado Pesto Salad
- Grilled Vegetable Salad with Fresh Tarragon Dressing
- Montreal or Chicago Spiced Home Fries
- Warm Chickpea and Artichoke Salad
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Fermented Lemon Kale and Savoy Cabbage from A Harmony Healing. I can’t wait to try out this new fermented veggie combo!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars from The Healthy Maven. Seriously, who could resist this combination? Talk about decadent!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”
© Ricki Heller 2013.