Well hello, there, Wellness Weekenders! Hope you are all having a stellar week so far!
Can you believe it’s almost Canadian Thanksgiving already?! It happens on Monday, October 14th. (Yes, that does feel rather early!). I’ve got so much to be thankful for this year. I’m thankful to be doing work that I love–and to all of YOU for being such an integral part of it.
So, thank you all for being here, reading, sharing your amazing recipes, leaving your thoughtful comments, and for helping to make Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free a reality this year. Somebody pinch me!
And if you’re celebrating on the 14th, I’ve got you covered. Read on for lots of news and Thanksgiving ideas!
- GIVEAWAYS GALORE! Yes, the NS&GF giveaways are continuing right through the holidays! This week, you’ve got SIX chances to win a copy of Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free (but hurry, one of the giveaways ends tomorrow!). Enter one or more! To see all the current giveaways, hop over to the Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free event page (scroll and look for the posts in green for giveaway dates).
- It’s Pumpkin Season! In case you missed it this morning, here’s my recipe for Almost Instant Pumpkin Porridge. This comes together in 5 minutes–quick and easy and totally pumpkiny! Click here for the recipe on the Attune blog.
- JL from JL Goes Vegan is holding a giveaway for a copy of Dynise Balcavage’s Pies and Tarts with Heart. I think I need to enter and get more comfy with pie crust! For details and to enter, check here. Ends October 14.
- I’m SO excited to share that I’ll be a guest on this free webinar with Michelle Pfennighaus from Find Your Balance at 8:00 PM EST (5:00 PM PST) on October 29th! Michelle is the author of Creating Kick-Butt Healthy Recipes, an online video program that teaches health coaches, food bloggers and anyone interested in cooking how to develop professional level recipes. I was part of the “expert panel” involved in the course and I provide a few tips along with other cookbook authors and chefs. On the 29th, Michelle and I will be chatting about “Navigating Your Food Sensitivity Adventure”–all you need to know to feel comfortable at home and when socializing, to create foods that you love–and that love you back–with ease. I hope you’ll join us! To register, just hop over to Michelle’s blog.
- Do you love eating nuts like I do? In this article for Fitalicious, I share seven reasons to love being a little nutty.
- Finally–THANKSGIVING RECIPES! If you’re looking for healthy, whole-foods, vegan recipes, look no more. I’ve compiled the ultimate list of 75+ Healthy Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes, including everything from appetizer to brunch the next day. See my post here. And Heather from Healthy Eating Starts Here has her own roundup on her blog--check it out here.
[Please note: this post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission. The price to you does not change. Thank you for supporting this blog!]
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
Got some beautiful produce? Try one of these salads or this salsa…
Sweet and Crunchy Mango Jicama Chopped Salad from Veggie Quest. We eat first with our eyes, and the colors in this salad just scream, “eat me!”
Kale and Winter Squash Salad from Detached and Connected. Anything that combines kale with some of my favorite autumn squash is always welcome on my table!
Cucumber Peach Salsa from Practical-Stewardship. Another fresh and creative recipe from Sonja!
If you’re looking for some recipes here on the blog, try one of these:
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Crimson Salad with Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds (an absolute fave in winter months!)
- Crunchy Green Salad
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Lentil-Sweet Potato Pot Pie from Lymie Eating Coconut. I’ve had sweet-potato and buckwheat pie, but never lentil. A must-try!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, and Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Bring Joy. How gorgeous–and yummy–do these look?!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products.Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at dietdessertdogsATgmailDOTcom. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”
© Ricki Heller 2013.