Happy Thursday to you! And Happy Wellness Weekend! Seems like we just wrapped up last week’s event. It’s insane how quickly the weeks are passing by–it’s almost the end of November (and almost American Thanksgiving) already! But hey, if that means winter whizzes by, too, I’m okay with that.
There’s been lots going on in Toronto (seriously, what’s up with our mayor??) and here on the blog, so let’s get right to it!
- Tomorrow is your LAST CHANCE TO ENTER YOUR RECIPE in the Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free Contest!! I’d love to see one of your recipes in the special holiday supplement my publisher is putting out next month! You’ll receive full credit and a link to your blog or website (if you have one). Be sure to check out the details on the contest page.
- Jesse at Out to Lunch Creations is holding a giveaway for one of my favorite foods: spirulina! This isn’t the usual form in which I take it (I use the powder), but great for anyone new to this ingredient. See the details here.
- Janet shares a review and giveaway of Raw & Simple on her blog. See all the details here.
[Here I am with Lisa of Gluten-Free Find.]
- I had a blast speaking about superfoods at last week’s Gluten Free Garage event. It was also a great opportunity to meet with other Toronto-area gluten-free folks, like Maggie of She Let Them Eat Cake and Lisa (pictured with me, above) of Gluten-Free Find (and you can also read about Lisa’s latest venture and find a recipe for magical Chocolate Chip Cookies, here). Gluten Free Garage maintains a blog year-round with lots of information and tips about living gluten-free, and they’ll be posting podcasts of the speakers’ talks, so be sure to check their site even if you missed the event.
- Send me your burning questions about the anti-candida diet! Do you have questions about what you can or can’t eat on the diet, what sweeteners are allowed, which supplements I took, best foods to fight candida, or anything else? Send them my way! I recently started this Candida Q & A series on the blog, and I’m eager to answer all the questions I can. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Q&A.” Thanks!
- Thanksgiving is right around the corner! In case you missed it back in October, here’s my list of 75+ Healthy Vegan Thanksgiving recipes–from appetizer to brunch the next day.
- HOLIDAY EBOOK GIVEAWAY! I’m giving away a copy of Amie Valpone’s new Holiday Cookbook, with 80 allergy-friendly recipes for the holidays (almost all are vegan)! To enter, leave a comment on this Facebook post. ENDS TONIGHT--SO HURRY!
PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks:
Looking for a new soup or side dish? Try one of these recipes:
Golden Lentil Barley Soup from One Small Vegan. If you can eat barley, this sounds like a fabulous soup!
Fall Kale Salad with Roasted Squash, Cherries, and Walnuts from Made to Glow.Well, y’all know I adore kale. . . but pair it with squash AND cherries, and I think I’m in heaven.
Venezuelan-Style Mini Arepas from Green Gourmet Giraffe. I’ve been dying to try arepas–and these look SO approachable!
If you’re looking for some recipes here on the blog, try one of these:
- Creamy Potato-Leek Soup
- Green Soup with Spinach, Lettuce, and Peas
- Roasted Red Pepper and Squash Soup
- Crunchy Green Salad
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Mushroom Quinoa Casserole from The Healthy Maven. What a hearty, savory dish this would be on your holiday table!
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Lemon Bars from Cats in the Kitchen. Super simple to make, and nut-free.
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here.
Here’s How to Participate:
The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at email@example.com. Thanks!
I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!
And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”