Hi Everyone! As the Winter That Refused to Disappear (paired with the Mayor Who Refused to Disappear) continues to dominate here in the Toronto area, I find myself dreaming of handing in my book manuscript so I can escape to somewhere warmer–and quieter (more on that idea coming up in a future post). I hope you’re all enjoying the beginning of spring (or a mild start to fall) where you are! And if you’re in North America, don’t forget to switch to daylight savings time this weekend!
- Your opinion counts!! Did you miss the chance to share your preferences about the blog and help shape its future? I’ve posted a 30-second, ONE-QUESTION survey asking what you’d like to see on the blog when I return here next month. Please take a moment to answer it–I so value your opinion, and as I plan what will be on rickiheller.com for the rest of year, I’d love to know what you’d like most to see. Thanks so much to everyone who already responded! Get the (anonymous) survey here.
- My friend Tess Masters‘ new book, The Blender Girl, is on the way! As part of the pre-launch festivities, Tess and her publisher are offering a great pre-sale bonus: if you’re one of the first 500 people to pre-order the book, you’ll receive a bunch of recipes not in the original plus a supoon (cool!). I’ve seen a sneak peek of the final book, and it is stunning! Congrats, Tess, on a wonderful achievement. Tess is also giving away prizes every week until the launch! This week it’s an Eco Jarz Reusable Gift Pack! Check for details here.
- Speaking of books, I’ve been writing and cooking like crazy to meet the final deadline for my candida guidebook and cookbook!! My deadline is end of this month, and the projected publication date is fall 2014. You can see all the testers’ photos of recipes on the Pinterest page. Or, here are some favorites I’ve made myself:
[Clockwise from top left, ending in center: Raw Grain-Free Veggie Sushi with Spicy Ginger-Miso Sauce; Pumpkin Patties; Quick Cranberry Snack Smoothie; Beans Paprikash with Grain-Free Bread; Creamy Asian Greens; Vegetable Miso Soup; Baby Greens with Creamy Cranberry-Poppyseed Dressing; Veggie-Quinoa Stir-Fry with Arame and Edamame; Raw Chocolate Brownies. And yes, every single recipe is candida-diet approved, vegan, and with NO high glycemic sweeteners!]
And now. . . on to this week’s event! PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR GIVEAWAYS OR CONTESTS TO THE LINKYS BELOW–THEY ARE FOR RECIPES ONLY.
This Week’s Picks: Who doesn’t like soup and salad? Check out these recipes…
Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup from Allergy Free Alaska. A delicious recipe with the word “lazy” in the title? I’m right on it!!
Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup with Roasted Potatoes from Green Vegan Living. What a stellar combination! I love the sound of this one.
Chard Red Lentil Potato Slow Cooker Soup from The Omnivore and The Vegetarian. Another reason why I really need to get a slow cooker!
Looking for more soup & salad recipes? Here are some from the blog:
- Quinoa Salad with Buckwheat and Cranberries
- Mock Green Papaya Salad
- Spiced Cauliflower Soup
- Chili to Last through the Winter
And this week’s Readers’ Choices:
Readers’ Choice, Savory
Vegan Chickpea Flour Omelet from Strength and Sunshine. These are one of my favorite foods ever! Adjust fillings to your taste and voila–a great, easy, quick meal.
Readers’ Choice, Sweet:
Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Clouds from Vegan Mommy Chef. A yummy-looking cookie made with SO many good ingredients, I’d eat one as a meal!
Thanks for joining in and sharing all your healthy, sugar-free and vegan recipes. I love seeing what you whip up each week! And I hope you’ll also share on Facebook, Pinterest, twitter and Instagram, too! Wellness Weekend even has its own group Pinterest board so you can keep track of each week’s links. Check it out right here. And if you’d like to be added as a pinner on the board, just let me know! You have to follow me on Pinterest first (and then I follow you, in order to add you). You can pin any of the recipes from any Wellness Weekend.
Here’s How to Participate: The event occurs once a week, starting Thursdays at 8:00 PM my time and running until the following Monday at midnight.
- Simply link up a vegan recipe you made (and posted about) that contains health-supporting ingredients. This means any good-for-you whole foods, especially those with antioxidant properties or “functional foods” (ie, offering naturally medicinal or health-promoting qualities–such as garlic, coconut oil, all vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc.)–but any fresh, real food is welcome! No-no’s include white flour or sugar, highly processed foods, or animal products. Definite no-no’s include: cane sugar (evaporated or otherwise), sweeteners ending in -itol, margarines, or faux meat products. Items like vegan protein powder, grain or bean flours, or coconut milk are fine even though they are technically “processed,” since they either contain a single ingredient, or could technically be made at home. Also, please note that this is a vegan recipe event. A minor ingredient with a vegan option is fine, but if the main ingredient is intended to be meat or other animal product, your recipe likely belongs in a different link up event.
- This is a recipe event. Your blog post must contain a recipe.
- You may link up older posts from your archives as long as they contain a link to this post. Please do not link up any posts you have previously shared at an earlier Wellness Weekend event.
- Please link the post with your recipe, NOT your blog’s home page or another event page.
- You may submit up to three recipes, but please follow the guidelines for each one individually. ONLY ONE THUMBNAIL FROM EACH BLOG POST, PLEASE. If your post contains two suitable recipes, link up once and people will still see all your fabulous recipes when they click on the linky.
- Please mention this event and include a link back to this post so that others can find all the recipes posted!
- Feel free to use the blog badge, above (or see the left sidebar of this page–if you need the html code, let me know and I’ll send it to you). Many thanks to Adrienne of Whole New Mom for setting up the badge code for me!
PLEASE NOTE: In order to promote your posts and the event, I like to occasionally tweet, mention on Facebook, or pin your blog post(s). On occasion, I will repost your photos in the following week’s Wellness Weekend as well. If you prefer that I NOT use your photos or links, please let me know in the comments below, or send an email to me at email@example.com. Thanks! I will reluctantly remove any links that don’t comply. I apologize, but I will no longer be able to leave a comment telling you that I’ve removed a non-compliant link. I hate to have to remove links! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING! And now. . . what have you been cooking up lately? Please share!
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus cookbook updates and my upcoming newsletter this fall! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”