It seems there are two camps when it comes to cutting sugar entirely out of your diet: those who think it’s prudent to satisfy sweet cravings with sugar-free options (such as stevia or xylitol) and those who think you should cut out sweeteners entirely, since they may end up increasing your sugar cravings even more. “To learn to live without sugar,” the argument goes, “you need to train yourself to enjoy foods that aren’t sweet, so you lose those cravings.”
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know well that I am an admitted sugar addict who clearly did not cut sweets out entirely from my diet. But was that a mistake?
In today’s video, I talk about whether or not it’s a good idea for you to avoid all sweet things on a sugar-free diet (or anti-candida diet), and why.
Question: If you eat sugar-free, do you avoid sweet foods such as desserts or sweetened drinks? What’s your rationale for doing so? Please share in the comments!
- What’s behind the advice to cut out all sweeteners from your diet
- How do artificial sweeteners affect our cravings?
- How do artificial sweeteners affect gut bacteria?
- How does stevia affect insulin levels?
- How does stevia affect blood sugar levels?
- What I did that allowed me to overcome sweet cravings entirely
- The Sweet Life Club (ongoing support for sugar-free, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free living)
- Living Candida-Free (Book)
- Living Candida Free (free Facebook group)
- Anti-Candida Digital Cookbooks
- Candida Diet Individual Coaching
- RECIPE: Carob-Coconut Sweeties
- ARTICLE: How Artificial Sweeteners Affect Blood Sugar & Insulin
- ARTICLE: Stevia May Affect Gut Bacteria
- ARTICLE: Does Stevia Affect Blood Sugar?
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Video: Should You Avoid Sweets on a Sugar-Free Diet?
Disclosure: Links in this post may be affiliate links. If you choose to purchase using those links, at no cost to you, I will receive a small percentage of the sale, which I use to support myself and keep this site running. So, thank you for supporting rickiheller.com this way!
Subscribe for recipes and more about living well without sugar, gluten, eggs or dairy! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll receive emails sharing recipes and videos as soon as they’re posted, plus weekly updates and news about upcoming events. A healthy lifestyle CAN be sweet!