The other day, I had a sudden realization: although I often refer to myself as “95% symptom-free, 99% of the time,” it has actually been over a year since my last symptom flare-up.
Ever since I first healed from candida in 2010 (I started the diet and protocol in 2009), I always felt that candida still lurked right under the surface.
Although I generally felt good and symptom-free, and I had actually built a life that is now much more active, productive and happy than it was before I had candida overgrowth, I never really considered myself “clear.”
Since those days back in 2010, about twice a year, I’d face a real symptom flare-up. Maybe my rash would suddenly turn angry and a little red; maybe my sinuses would rebel and I’d feel an infection coming on. I’d usually self-treat with sinus irrigation, essential oils or other at-home treatments, and within a week or so, everything would be back to normal.
These things seemed to happen for no apparent reason. In retrospect, though, I could always connect them to something I’d eaten (such as too many flour-based foods) a supplement I lacked, or an extremely stressful period.
In fact, I would often tell people that I have “chronic candida.”
And yet, here I was, with a symptom-free period so long that I can no longer remember the last flare-up.
What made this amazing change happen? That’s what I share today.
And even better–I think what I did can be applied whether you deal with candida, Lyme, chronic joint issues or any other condition that requires you to eat a special diet.
- When I was first diagnosed and went on the anti-candida diet
- How I stuck with it for the next 10 years
- What caused my relapse–and what my diet was like at the time
- What happened with the doctors I saw, and the practitioner I finally found
- My protocol that allowed me to start healing
- How I changed my diet–and the effects of eating different foods
- What changed that stopped the flare-ups
- What I now think is the #1 shift you have to take to start healing
- One mistake most people make when it comes to their diet that prevents them from sticking with it
- The two key mental shifts that were game-changers for me
- New workshop coming up soon all about how to get through the holidays!
- FREE WORKSHOP: Healthy through the Holidays: Stick to your healthy eating and stay healthy right through until January! Click here to save your spot.
- JOIN my Free Facebook group: Food Restrictions Made Easy (mention that you learned about it here!)
- GRAB A COPY of Living Candida-Free (Book) OR
- Anti-Candida Digital Cookbooks
- SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel
Disclosure: Links in this post may be affiliate links. If you choose to purchase using those links, at no cost to you, I will receive a small percentage of the sale.
Subscribe for recipes and more about living well without sugar, gluten, eggs or dairy! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll receive emails sharing recipes and videos as soon as they’re posted, plus weekly updates and news about upcoming events. A healthy lifestyle CAN be sweet!
Wendy Jarvo says
So true! Thank you so much for your wise words and your recipes!! You have been incredibly helpful on my healing journey thus far from lyme and candida. I appreciate you Ricki.
Wendy from Ottawa
Ricki Heller says
So glad to hear this, Wendy! And glad that things are getting better for you. It’s a journey, for sure, but one worth taking. 🙂
Thank you Ricki!
That is some wise advise. Readjusting our focus on a bigger picture. Reminding us that feelings of wellness will come if we can focus on the positive/ what makes us happy.
Thanks for the free holiday workshop too, I’m looking forward to it.
Ricki Heller says
Thanks so much, Ann! Glad to know it was helpful. And I’m thrilled you’ll be joining us for the workshop, too. 🙂