[Chaser engaged in one of her favorite summer activities]
One of the (many) things I love about summer is all the long weekends. (Seriously, shouldn’t there be at least one long weekend per month? It would make the calendar year SO much more appealing).
This weekend here in Canada, it’s Canada Day (July 1st), and on July 4th it’s the US Independence Day–so I like to combine both in one major celebration in honor of all my friends and relatives in the States, too. People in both countries enjoy a day off, bask in the sunshine and eat foods that are the colors of our respective flags. Could there be a better way to spend a summer’s day with people you love?
For those of you (like me) who leave these things far too late in the game, here’s a last minute assortment of holiday-worthy eats you can make and serve to friends and family.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend, everyone!
Appetizers, Hors D’Oeuvres, etc.:
- Watermelon-Basil Cooler
- Ginger-Mint Iced Tea
- Carrot Pâté
- Mock Chopped Liver spread
- Perfect Guacamole
- Veganzola “Cheese” Ball
- Eggplant “Caviar”
Salads, Sides & Veggies:
- Quick Creamy Caesar Dressing
- Asparagus, Pea Shoot and Pea Salad
- Cabbage (or Broccoli) Delight
- Grilled Romaine with a Sweet and Smoky Dressing
- Kale Salad, Fully Loaded
- Mango Avocado Salad
- Olive-Quinoa Salad with Olive Shortbreads
- Kale and Quinoa Salad with Fresh Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Grilled Tofu “Cutlets” with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto
- Soy-Free Veggie Burgers
- Caramelized Onion, Shaved Butternut and “Goat Cheese” Pizza on a Grain-Free Crust
- Layered Mexican Casserole
- Sweet Potato and Kasha Burgers
- Lemony Baked Tofu
- Butter Tarts (crust is not gluten free)
- Granola Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes (a portable, single-serve way to eat your cheesecake!)
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Raw Apricot-Swirl Mini Cheesecake Tarts
- Chocolate Covered Fudgesicles
- Grain-Free Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (not gluten free)
- “Panera’s” Cinnamon-Crumb Coffee Cake
Last Year’s List of Patriotic Eats can be found here.
“Mum, I’m looking forward to spending time in the sun, too, and eating those Patriotic Eats! And no need to worry about that ‘colors of the flag’ stuff for me and Chaser–we can’t see red, anyway!”
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to Diet, Dessert and Dogs via email. (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as treats!”)
© Ricki Heller, Diet, Dessert and Dogs