Okay, show of hands: who else loves sweet things as much as I do? (Wow. That’s a lot of hands!).
Let me tell you, when I first started the anti-candida diet back in 2009, it really felt as if the diet put a crimp in my style. As an incorrigible sweets lover, I was worried I’d have to give up sweet things forever. Luckily, that was the farthest thing from the truth: instead, I just gave up white refined sugar, and later, other high glycemic sweeteners. Instead, these days, I rely on a variety of low glycemic sweeteners instead to deliver the sweetness in my foods.
While there are myriad alternatives to sugar out on the market these days, they’re not all equally low on the glycemic index (GI), which means some of them still do act like sugar in the body. Others may be low glycemic, but don’t offer any health benefits (or may actually be unhealthy).
I’ve learned to bake and cook with these healthier options without compromising flavor or texture (I mean, does this look like a compromise to you? Or this? Or this?).
In today’s video, I’m sharing the low glycemic sweeteners I love and use most with you all, too, so that you can begin (or continue) to enjoy all your favorite foods without compromising flavor–or your health. Because really, if something makes you sick in the long run, how “sweet” is that?
Do you use natural alternatives to sugar? Which ones are your favorites?
- Why some perfectly fine natural sweeteners aren’t part of my diet
- My top three low- or zero-glycemic sweeteners (and I name names!)
- What you never want to do with stevia
- Other favorite low glycemic sweeteners that are great–but not for every day
- Why you might have issues with xylitol or erythritol
- What is yacon syrup, what to watch out for, and how to use it
- Which cosmetic lotion is now being used as a sweetener
- One-on-one special diet coaching
- NuNaturals stevia
- SweetLeaf stevia
- NOW stevia
- my favorite xylitol
- My favorite yacon syrup
- NOW glycerin (note: the company mentions that it’s food grade here).
- The Sweet Life membership club (early bird price expires Sept 25th; full details coming SOON!)
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
Never miss a recipe–or a comment from The Girls! Click here to subscribe to RickiHeller.com via email. You’ll get recipes as soon as they’re posted, plus weekly updates and news about upcoming events! (“We love subscribers, Mum. . . almost as much as we love treats!”
[Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links. If you buy using these links, at no cost to you, I will earn a small commission on the sale.]
Have you tried making vanilla extract using glycerin? I now do that and it works wonder 🙂
Ricki Heller says
I haven’t yet, Camille, but it’s on my list! One of my blogging friends does it that way all the time and I know she loves it. So glad it worked for you! 🙂